New Term Courses and Workshops
Contact Elaine Ph 021 169 6256 or email her at SNKBookings@gmail.com to enrol.
Annual General Meeting
Twenty-eight members attended the AGM on 18 July at the Learning Centre.
The Guest speaker was David Robertson who gave a very interesting talk about the work of the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).
AGM: Election of Executive Committee for 2018-19
The following Members were elected;
- Chairperson: Teresa Urutia
- Treasurer: Erik Thorsing
- Secretary: Sue Connor
- Committee Members: Barry Bailey, Peter Bunkall (Deputy Chair), James Heron, Elaine Hopewell, Peter Jones, Veronica Kemp, Brian Milne, Patrick Stephens, Peter Thomson.
AGM: Corporate Membership
It was decided at the AGM, to offer Corporate Membership of SeniorNet Kapiti to local organisations and commercial enterprises, subject to the prevailing provisions and requirements approved by the Executive of such membership and subject to said organisations and commercial enterprises being in support of the objectives of Kapiti SeniorNet. To put this into effect an amendment to our Constitution was proposed, debated, modified and finally passed.
Final approved wording of the amendment is as follows;
Corporate Membership (non-voting) shall be open to local organisations and commercial enterprises subject to the prevailing provisions and requirements approved by the Executive for such membership, and subject to said organisations and commercial enterprises being in support of the objectives of Kapiti SeniorNet Inc.
Subscriptions remain unchanged. Individual Membership is $30 reduced to $25 if paid before 1 May of the current financial year. Joint Membership (for couples) is $50 reduced to $45 if paid before 1 May of the current financial year.
AGM: Honorary Membership
Chair Teresa presented Kuini Woolcock with Honorary Membership in recognition of her sterling contributions to SeniorNet.
AGM: Message from the Chair
The last year has been busy and productive with accomplishments including:
- As of July 2018 we have 375 paying members
- In the last year, we have offered 54 classes, with 351 attendees, making for approximately 3000 learner hours.
- In keeping with our strategy of providing timely instruction on current technologies we introduced new, specialized workshops that made their debut in the last year including:
- Making it Easier
- Are You Thinking of Buying?
- How to Build a Web Page
- Making free Phone Calls on the Internet
- Managing your Privacy
- Answers to Dumb Questions
- Is Your Computer Hard to Use?
- To keep abreast of the latest changes in technology, using feedback from our class participants, and from the experience of our volunteer tutors we have updated the content and structure of some of our popular courses including:
- Managing the Data on Your PC
- Introduction to Windows Mail
- Introduction to Windows 10
- Internet Banking
- Managing and Editing Photos
- When Vodaphone decided to get out of the email business and informed their customers that they would need to switch email providers, the Federation jumped at the opportunity to help the over-50 users of Vodaphone email with the transition. SeniorNet Kapiti Inc. responded by offering half day workshops detailing how to get the job done
- We continue to hold our display days at Coastlands and the Open Days at the Learning Centre to raise visibility in the community and reach out to those wondering what our organization can offer
- We also proudly joined the Volunteer Kapiti Inc. organization and are currently using the service to look for new tutors
- Our premises have undergone some much-needed upgrades and improvements the most important being the replacement of the old roof, repairing the hole in the women’s toilet wall, and upgrading of the alarm system
Thanks to all of the hard working, good-natured members of the Executive Committee for their efforts, insights, and ideas. The organization has benefited greatly because of them.
Thanks to our volunteer Tutors, who provide instruction on a variety of subjects with knowledge and professionalism.
Thanks to our members for supporting the organization, providing insights into what is going fine and improvements that be made.
A special shout out to David Salter who is stepping aside, and welcome to Erik Thorsing for taking on the role.
Chair Seniornet Kapiti Inc.